How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jak Bowtell Your Own Question
Jak Bowtell
Jak Bowtell, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 159
Experience:  LLB (Hons) (ling.) ( franc.) (UEA) ARAeS
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jak Bowtell is online now

Assistant: How can I help? Can an overstayer in Uk married

This answer was rated:

Assistant: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Can an overstayer in Uk married to US CITIZEN IN UK?
Assistant: What steps have been taken? Has any paperwork been filed with the UK government?
Customer: No nothing
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: no u r the first I m talking about this
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that’s all I want to know for now
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi I m waiting for the reply

Hello, could you please provide some more information, e.g. what visa was issued? what is the nationality of the person concerned? Could you describe the situation in a little more detail as I didn't quite understand it from your query

Do we have a person with an expired visa (of what nationality?) married to a US citizen who resides in the UK (legally?) and the person with the expired visa wishes to know how they can remain in the UK?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Actually person is originally from Pakistan and he is an over stayer in Uk and another person is living in USA AND SHE IS US NATIONAL
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
my query is that if can she get marry with me in Uk while my visa is expired?

I can answer this categorically. The person originating from Pakistan residing in the UK on an expired visa may not marry the US national residing in the USA in the United Kingdom. This is because the person originating in Pakistan is residing illegally in the UK. I'm sorry if this was not the answer you wanted to hear, but I can only provide an objective analysis of the information that I've been given. I do hope this helps clarify the situation.

You can rate my initial response, this will mean that the question stays with me and any subsequent follow-ups will be answered more quickly. It also means that Just Answer will pay the expert for their time, otherwise, they retain it until the customer rates.

I'll remain available for any follow ups you have.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How can I get legal status in UK What options do I have ?

If your visa has expired, you have 30 days to leave the UK voluntarily at your own expense before you face a ban on re-entry. If you have exceeded the 30 days you have to leave the UK, you will not be able to re-enter the UK. Are you still within the 30 day period?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It’s been long sir couple of years I m overstated
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Have you received any correspondence from immigration?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
couple of years back they sent me letter home office to leave the country in 14 days I didn’t left and they didn’t even gave me right to appeal but one solicitor he said he can do something he wrote some letter to home office but after couple of months they refuse again so I didn’t left the county and I stayed here

Given that background, you will be on the record and will likely be arrested if the police find where you are and the deportation process will begin in line with Home Office guidance. At this stage, I think it would be impossible for you to stay legally, and it seems that you must leave the UK and will not be allowed to re-enter. I would advise you to contact the Joint Council for the Welfare of Immigrants for further advice. I cannot advise you to do anything other than what is legal, and in this case you must leave the UK and not return. I'm sorry to have to relay this to you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Doesn joint council welfare charge any fees ?
I don’t think they charge, but I’m not 100% sure
I would advise you to check their website. However, no one is going to advise you to do something illegal I’m afraid.
Jak Bowtell and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks