How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1854
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

Can I claim adverse of registered land I and the previous

This answer was rated:

Can I claim adverse of registered land I and the previous property owner have used for 10 and a half years..?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: Adverse possession....sorry
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No, we have lived here for over 6 years and have used the land, believing we purchased it at the time of buying the house, only to see an estate agent telling the owners daughter (Owner now in a care home) that the land is shown to be registered to next doors property to us and she could sell it. The land has been used solely by the previous owner and myself for over ten years. When I searched the paperwork for the house, I found that the previous owner took out an indemity policy out in case someone should ever try to claim it..
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No....
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The owner of the house died two days ago so I am guessing that they will now try and claim the land as theirs..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What is the service offer..?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry, I was under the impression this was a 7 day trial where I paid a price and then asked questions..?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No phone call please...!

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be of assistance.

Where is this property located?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Can you explain your situation a bit more? Did you attempt to purchase the land?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No phone call....
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We believed we purchased the land with the house 6 years ago, only to be told that it is still registered to the house next door....
The owner has now died and I feel that the daughter of the owner will now attempt to claim the land. I have also found out that the land has an imdeminity policy for any such action..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The land has been in the position of this house for around 10.8 years and that is documented...

The prompt for a telephone call was automated. Was the sale conducted by a Solicitor? Is your interest in the property endorsed on the deed at all? Who did you purchase land from?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The land is part of our garden and is at the very end. The neighbours garden runs along our garden then they believe cuts in at a very sharp right angle...
The sale was conducted by a solicitor and they must have advised the previous owner regarding the indemnity policy ...
I have spoken to the previous owner who bought the house at an action and believed at the time the land was attached to our garden as it is one seem less plot with no breaks and was fenced off from next doors garden prior to him even seeing the house..
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What does "Our interest in the property endorsed on the deed at all..? mean..

I really cannot say what that clause extracted means without seeing the entirety of the deed.

i am also struggling to give you a fulsome response as your instructions are not quite clear. Land and house are not sold separately, as such, the land would be sold with the house and it is unclear therefore why your name would not have been endorsed on the deed.

in any event, for you to claim adverse possession, you will be required to demonstrate that you were in quiet undisturbed possession of the land for 10 years without the paper title owner’s consent. It means therefore the person who is named on the deed must not have known of or consented to you being in possession of the property for you to claim adverse possession.

i hope I have answered your question.

kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance.

i ask kindly that you indicate whether you have accepted the answer given by clicking on the stars at the top of the page.

all the best


ReadyLaw and other Law Specialists are ready to help you