Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I signed a contract with a company for some advertisement,

Hi - I signed a contract with a company for some advertisement, they visited me at my workplace. Immediately after they’d gone I feel as though I’d been pressured and then found terrible reviews about them. I text and emailed the company the same day to cancel but they said I cannot and have signed a contract. Is this the case?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Oh sorry, I’m in the UK
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have replied twice to their emails saying I do not want the services. They are hounding me daily with phone calls
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just ignore the calls, and have stopped reply to emails but have received an email today threatening court action

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Are you able to copy and paste their cancellation policy on here?

Also, how long ago was this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The meeting was on the 7th November that was when I signed - I’ll try and copy and paste terms now
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Unique Advertising Limited T/A Patient Services UK Co.Reg.No.10418475
A Glossary of Terms and Conditions
"Site(s)" shall mean The premises in which the media/(s) is displayed as specified in the Agreement.
The "Company" shall mean the trading name of the entity within the group of companies ultimately controlled by Unique Advertising Limited responsible for the supplying of the media/(s) space within the Site/(s).
The "Advertiser" shall mean the person, parties or company who have entered into this Agreement in accordance with clause 4 below.
"Media/(s)" shall mean the unit/(s) or method/(s) in which the advert is to be displayed.
1. This Agreement relates to the production of Media/(s) for the Advertiser which will be placed at the Site/(s) detailed overleaf.
2. This Agreement comes in effect upon signature of the Advertiser and the Company’s Sales Agent. The advertising term commences on the date of publication.
3. The Advertiser will supply a rtwork/copy matter/copy material and information within fourteen days of the date of this Agreement, failing which the Company will produce an advert, in its view, in accordance with the details overleaf, for inclusion in the Media/(s) without further notice to the Advertiser.
4. The Advertiser represents and warrants to the Company that it has all legal right, title and interest in and to any proprietary rights with respect to the copy to be included in the Media/(s). The Advertiser agrees to indemnify and hold the Company harmless from all costs and expenses in connection with any claim made by a third party with respect to any alleged infringement of copyright, trademark, service mark or any other proprietary rights as a result of the copy to be included in the Media/(s).
5. The full responsibility in relation to the contents of the advert rests with the Advertiser. The Company however reserves the right to edit or amend proposed adverts that it considers to be unreasonable, offensive, or conflict with the Site/(s) owner’s core business or corporate brand.
6. Each individual executing this Agreement on behalf of an Advertiser represents and warrants that he/she has been fully empowered to execute this Agreement and that all necessary action to authorise execution of this Agreement by him/her has been taken by such party and each individual further accepts that in default of the requisite authority to bind the party hereto that individual will be fully personally liable for all claims that may be made by the Company as if that individual had personally been a party to this Agreement.
7. The Company reserves the right to, for any reason, to make reasonable changes to the size, shape, location and content of the Media.
8. If in the event the advertising through no fault of the Company is not produced or is delayed or suspended the Company shall upon recommencement of the advertising continue such advertising until a full 12 month period has elapsed from the date on which the advertisement first appeared. In the event of permanent closure of the Site/(s) the Company reserve the right to transfer the advertising to the nearest most suitable Site/(s) or alternative Media/(s) such suitability to be deemed by the Company alone.
9. In the event of a business being sold by an Advertiser or ceasing to trade for any reason whatsoever, the Advertiser remains liable for any outstanding monies due under this Agreement.
10. If the Advertiser fails to make any payment or instalment in relation to the Agreement when due hereunder within fourteen days of the date upon which that payment or instalment shall be due, then the entire balance under the relevant period of this Agreement shall then automatically become due and payable, and without prejudice to the rights of the Company, plus all costs and fees incurred in collection. The Advertiser hereby consents to the jurisdiction of the Blackpool County Court for the resolution of any disputes hereunder.
11. Please note that in the event of any breach of the Advertisers payment obligations, the Company reserves the right to levy a £50 plus VAT administration charge per breach per week. Any costs occasioned by any action will be charged to the Advertiser, plus interest thereon pursuant to provisions of Section 69 of the County Court act 1984 at such a rate and such period as the Court shall see fit.
12. It agreed by both parties that the deposit payment is non-refundable. The non-refundable deposit of the Agreement value is attributed to the cost of designing an advert as per clause 1 of this Agreement in addition to the payment of the Sales Agents commission. The balance relates to its publication.
13. No alteration variation or addition of these printed Terms and Conditions shall be binding unless agreed in writing between the authorised representatives of the Company and the Advertiser and stated in the special comments panel overleaf or endorsed by both parties.
14. The Company reserves the right to within fourteen days of the date

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. Assuming you signed up for business purposes (i.e. you were not a private individual wanting their services for personal use only), you would not be protected under consumer legislation. That means you do not have an automatic cooling off period unfortunately and as soon as the contract is accepted, you are bound by it and its terms. Therefore, you would only be able to cancel it if it had a specific cancellation clause which you followed. However, they are not obliged to provide you with the right to cancel so if there is no cancellation clause, you will be bound by the contract as soon as you have accepted it. Also, finding bad reviews about them will not be grounds to cancel. You would therefore either have to accept the contract and continue with it or take the risk and not pay them anything to continue, hoping they won’t take it any further.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your help

All the best