ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Advocate
Experience:  Adjunct Lecturer at University of Technology
104128041

As you can imagine, this is going to be a story, so I have

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: As you can imagine, this is going to be a long story, so I have to provide some back story first, my girlfriend and I are both licensed private pilots
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We live in Takeley in Essex, but I work in London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing yet
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, basically, we had an issue with a lodger living in our house for 6 months, but the issue isn't related to the lodger's agreement, the issue is that when he left, he has sent a defamatory letter about us to the Civil Aviation Authority full of lies and declaring us mentally unstable. This has resulted in lots of stress and anxiety for my partner and I, and my girlfriend's medical licence is now suspended
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
My partner's name is Anett Novak and our lodger's name is Lewis H Gray
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
He has also sent a letter to our council asking for our HMO licence, but we have only 2 lodgers living with us who are there temporarily and don't have our their primary residence at our place. In the letter he says that we don't have smoke alarms, while actually we have 3 smoke alarms in the house - one on each floor
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
His letter to the Civil Aviation Authority is causing serious problems for us and potentially will cause us to be barred from flying commercially permanently as we already had a case open with the Civil Aviation Authority, which I told Lewis all about to get his professional opinion on the matter
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
He has basically abused this knowledge to get back at us (revenge) and hit us where it hurts the most, and I seriously hope that we can take action against this
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I have all my Whatsapp correspondence with him as evidence, I have collected character references from people like our neighbours about us
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
My girlfriend even made this young man soup when he was sick, we trusted him and he was our favourite lodger
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
And he got upset over something so trivial
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
This is the whole Whatsapp discussion, as you can see, we don't treat anyone like "animals", I constantly ask him if we're not making too much noise, because our living room is right above his bedroom and if we are aware of the fact that Lewis is home, we'd go to bed a bit earlier.. we are honestly the nicest people you could ever meet :| in one of the messages he even says "you don't need to be silent"!
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
AME stands for Aviation Medical Examiner by the way, he's our first point of contact with the Civil Aviation Authority - we need to renew our medical license every year
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
our AME is basically our Aviation GP
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Lewis ALSO knew that we already had a bit of an issue with our AME, due to a misunderstanding about a missed appointment, and then our AME was unreachable for 2.5 months, no news whatsoever, so we became a little bit louder (but nothing too serious, we've basically always remained calm)

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be of assistance.

Have you heard from the AME since this email was sent?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Well, the problem is that they don't want to really help us anymore (the AME should be our primary point of contact for the CAA and they should be accessible, however our AME crams in as many renewals as possible to get as much money as possible and they don't really help out a lot if you are deviating from the standard renewals), they've replied saying this:
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Dear Mr Groeneveld and Ms Novak,

Thank you for your email.

Please refer to Professor Orton’s email below dated 23rd December.

Kind regards,

Jenny

Dear Mr Groeneveld and Ms Novak,

I am in receipt of your email.

Aviation Medica provides a professional service for over 4,000 pilots per year.

Ms Novak was seen in June 2019 and her medical condition required referral to the CAA.

If she wishes to pursue a C2 medical she will need to write a letter requesting that the CAA consider this and I would also suggest she enquires as the possibility of passing a C1 medical in the future.

She can send the letter here to be forwarded to the CAA or she can write directly to the CAA.

Yours sincerely,

Professor Peter Orton

Aviation Medical Examiner
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
For the moment I think it's easier to write, because everything has been said via e-mails
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I got that letter from the AME after complaining to them about Lewis' e-mail to them
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
"Please refer to Professor Orton’s email below dated 23rd December." that's basically all that our AME said
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
but the problem is - this really makes us look very bad, while we already had a case file open with the CAA
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
isn't this libellous/slander?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
C1 means class 1 (commercial flight), C2 means class 2 (recreational flight) by the way
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I have contacted another AME to take over our case, because the above AME is not going to be impartial anymore
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I will send you the full, complete story in a PDF, one second please
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
This is the full original story of why my partner Anett Novak had her licence suspended in the first place:

Thank you for the additional information.

now, re the lodgers email, you. Ay be able to commence a claim against him for defamation. Defamatory statements in essence includes where something is said to a third party, which is untrue and has the effect of damaging ones reputation. In your case, it has had an impact on your work.

you would first be required to write a letter to him advising of the effect of his statement, that it is untrue and that if he continues or does not retract you will commence a civil action against him.

because of the magnitude of what has been said I do not recommend that you write this letter yourself but rather instruct a Solicitor to write this letter. This will give the letter so much more weight.

I hope I was able to put things into perspective for you.

Kindly let me know me know if I may be of further assistance.

I also ask kindly that you indicate whether you accept the answer given by clicking on the stars at the top of the page.

All the best

RL

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
My main question is, what services can you provide for us? Can we visit you? Can we show more evidence? What is your rate?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Also, there's another problem - we don't have his new address, because he left our house the same day (7th January)
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
We do know he's working for Ryanair based at Stansted Airport
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
and we know his staff id number
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Would you be able to write this letter? Do we even have a case?

This site unfortunately does not allow for us to take on personal clients. As such I would not be able to personally represent you. I am only able to review your case and give guidance as to how best to proceed.

you may locate a solicitor who specializes in your area by clicking on the below link:

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

as the statements made by him are untrue I do believe you both would have a strong basis on which to pursue this claim. It is also necessary in my view to pursue this as the putc9me may have a direct implication/impact on your licence.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Unfortunately, we do not have a lot of money available to be honest, our pilot training has caused a lot of debt :|
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I'm not really sure whether I can afford this
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
it's scares me off quite a bit
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Also, on that website you sent me, I have to select a category, I don't even know what category this falls under
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
is this "Consumer and civil rights"?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
or "Family and relationships"
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
it's not really "Employment", because we are not professional pilots yet, we are still in training
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
so it only has an effect on our future

You would simply select civil or defamation in the area you currently reside. Whilst I understand your trepidation, this does. To seem to be something what will go away so you may have to simply deal with it. Alternatively, see how your regulators deal with this email and whether any weight is attached to it by them. That will inform your decision as how best to proceed .

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
OK thank you very much