Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Am I able to phone you I have spend some time texting the

Am I able to phone you I have spend some time texting the problem and the page crashed and I have lost it. Thankyiu
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Thirsk north yorkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: My son is dyspraxia bullied and on his second suspension from work. He has been contacted by an occupational nurse where she suggests he should go to a meeting on neutral ground. I don’t know if I should send a grievance letter or not. My son is now over anxious on does not ever want to go back. Either way he has lost his job
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There has been a lot going on hence the length of time it took me to type it

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

How long has he worked for this employer and why has he been suspended?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
5 years he is dyspraxia. Gross misconduct and harassment

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. Some of his rights in this case will depend on whether he is disabled under employment law.

Disability can have a broad meaning from a legal perspective and there is no single list of medical conditions that qualify. Potentially anything can amount to a disability if it meets the required criteria.

The Equality Act 2010 defines a disability as a “physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on a person’s ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities”.

I will break this definition down and examine it in more detail:

• Physical or mental impairment – this can include nearly any medical condition, be it physical or mental
  • Substantial effect – the effect must be more than minor or trivial
  • Long-term - the impairment must either have lasted or be likely to last for at least 12 months
  • Normal day-to-day activities – these could include anything considered ‘normal’ in a person's normal daily routine (e.g. shopping, reading and writing, having a conversation or using the telephone, watching television, getting washed and dressed, preparing and eating food, carrying out household tasks, walking and travelling by various forms of transport, and taking part in social activities)

If a person satisfies the above criteria, they will be classified as being disabled and will have automatic protection against discrimination. This means that they must not be treated unfavourably because of their disability. In addition, their employer would have a duty to make reasonable adjustments if they are likely to be placed at a substantial disadvantage when compared to non-disabled employees.

So if he was dismissed because if his disability or because the employer had failed to make reasonable adjustments, he can consider making an unfair dismissal claim and/or disability discrimination claim in the Employment Tribunal.

Before a person can make a claim in the employment tribunal, they would be required to participate in mandatory early conciliation through the Advisory Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS).

The purpose of this process is to allow ACAS to mediate between the claimant and respondent to agree on an out of court settlement in order to avoid the need for legal action in tribunal. The respondent does not have to engage in these discussions, or if they do and the talks are unsuccessful, the claimant will be issued with a certificate allowing them to make a claim.

However, if a settlement is reached, the claimant would agree not to proceed with the claim in return for the agreed financial settlement. Other terms can also be agreed as part of the settlement, such as an agreed reference.

To initiate the conciliation procedure ACAS can be contacted online by filling in the following form (https://ec.acas.org.uk/Submission/SingleClaimantPage), or by phone on 0300 123 1100.

If the conciliation process was not successful and you then wanted to make a formal claim in tribunal, you can do so here:

https://www.employmenttribunals.service.gov.uk/apply