Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I erected a scaffold for a builder and was never paid and

Hi I erected a scaffold for a builder and was never paid and has since walked off the project. The owners of the project are demanding scaffolding down, which I refused until I was paid. Am I legally aloud to do this as my contract was through the builder? Thanks
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Norwich
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Online Civil Money Claims to the builder
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

How long ago was this?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Scaffolding was erected 30/09/19
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Are you still there?

Thank you. Your contract and therefore, your legal rights are against the builder only. The customer has no part in this dispute and ultimately they are left with a scaffold on their property which as far as they are concerned, should not be there. You have to remember that keeping the scaffold there won’t get you the money back from the builder as they are not involved in this at present – the dispute over the location of the scaffold is between you and the end customer. What could happen is that the customer takes steps to remove the scaffold themselves and if they do so you could potentially be held liable for any extra costs associated with doing so. Therefore it may be best to remove the scaffold but still pursue the builder through the legal route for the money owed.

Does this answer your query?