JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I have a divorce settlement that states the share of the

I have a divorce settlement that states the share of the equity we both have an interest in, it is 80/20. Is the divorce document legal enough or do i need something else?
Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Was divorced in 2015
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Norfolk
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK and Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

Can I ask what the divorce document is that you refer to? A consent order?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Just the one thats sent to court to finalise it, with agreed finances etc. Is that the consent order?

It sounds like it, yes. Can you see the attached document?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Yes thats the one

attached

Sorry, disregard the last attachment. Yes, if that order has been signed and approved by the family court then it is binding between the parties

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Do i dont need a declaration of trust as well?

No, a declaration of trust is useful in that it sets out the party's wishes but a family court can make a different order - the consent order is final.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.

No problem. Let me know if you have further questions. If you can please give a positive rating by clicking 5 stars (at the top of your screen), I can answer any follow up questions at no extra charge and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim