Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

Can a judge suspend a sentence pending an appeal against a

Can a judge suspend a sentence pending an appeal against a conviction?
Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?
Customer: Conviction by jury, sentence hearing to be held at the end of January. Appeal against conviction lodged. Defendant on bail. Can the trial judge be asked at the sentence hearing to remand the defendant on bail and suspend sentence pending appeal against conviction.
Assistant: Where did this occur?
Customer: Crown Court
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi thank you for your message, yes the judge will likely adjourn the sentencing hearing pending the appeal against conviction. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What is the legal basis for the judge to adjourn the sentence?

s1 of the Powers of Criminal Courts (Sentencing) Act 2000. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Glad I could help, take care