Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

My ex boyfriend and I travelled the world for years. On

My ex boyfriend and I travelled the world for years. On returning to the UK with our expedition vehicle - that was in his name, but the purchase, renovation and maintenance were split between us - he can began to do it up again (to make it better than before). However, I found out that he cheated on me and thus we split up. He owes me about £10k for my half of the vehicle and what I invested into it. What is the statute of limitations to claim this back? Thanks, Linzi

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

When did all of this happen?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
I found out he was cheating in April 2015. I requested the money back then. He promised me he’d give me half (all in Facebook messages). I attempted to do some make shift contract to make sure he’d pay me. He agreed to it via email, but then gave his own list of what he wanted me to do in addition. I didn’t pursue anything because I was so traumatised from the whole experience of what unfolded, but now I do.
Customer: replied 2 days ago.
What I’m worried about, is that I don’t think it will fall under contract law limitations, as it wasn’t a proper contract. It was more of an agreement that he’ll pay me my half back (which I never got).

Well the regulations are about ‘simple contracts’. A contract does not have to be in writing or under an agreement and even verbal agreements can qualify. The usual time limit is 6 years so assuming there was an agreement to repay that in 2015 and that is when the issue with the alleged debt really began, you should still be within time to make a claim if needed.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Yes, thank you.

All the best