Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

My mums death certificate dosnt mention her fall, aged 93

My mums death certificate dosnt mention her fall , aged 93
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Devon
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Spoken to dr - funeral went ahead 18th December.
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don’t think so

Hi thank you for your message, the death certificate will mention the ultimate cause for her death therefore, what is listed?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Old age
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I went to crematorium and viewed the medical certificate form

Hi thank you for your message, I understand. Well that is likely the cause notwithstanding the fall. The alternative, would be to argue it should be accidental death. Either way if you disagree with the certificate you can apply for a correction to a death certificate. You cannot change a death certificate once it’s been issued, but you can apply to get a note added to the original entry in the death register. You can then get an updated certificate issued that shows this note. Anyone can apply to correct a death entry. However, the General Register Office (GRO) will usually need a letter from the person who gave information for the death to be registered before considering a correction.

It costs £75 or £90 to apply to correct a mistake in a death registration. Contact the register office where the death was registered to find out how to send your application, the cost, and how to pay. Fill in the application form to correct details on a death registration and send it to the register office, the form is available here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-form-to-correct-details-on-a---death-registration

You’ll need to show that the information given at the time of the registration was wrong. You must send in documents with your application that show what the correct information should have been. These documents should be valid or dated around the time of the death.

Documents you can send in include a:

passport
photocard driving licence
bank, building society or credit card statement
letter from a hospital or doctor
letter from a government department
utility bill

You should only send in documents that have been certified as true copies of the original.

There is not a set time for how long applications will take. It can take up to 25 days for you to get a reply.

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
It’s not so much about changing what they’ve written and more about why they haven’t detailed events leading to her death which the form specifically asks for. There is also a comment that the care in her carehome was good which it wasn’t - I’m not sure why or how that was included
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I’m a journalist student and filmmaker and am thinking of writing about it for publication. There is a strong public interest story in inaccurate death medical certificates.