Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

My daughter has separated from her partner. He wants buy her

My daughter has separated from her partner. He wants buy her out of the house and also wants to keep all the contents. They have agree on the house valuation and will split the equity 50/50. However, they cannot agree on the value of the contents. My daughter has put together a detailed inventory. She has asked for less than 50% of the value calculated but her partner disputes her figures. He believes that as they were given some items, then these should not be included. My daughter's argument, on the other hand, is that regardless of whether they were bought or gifted, second hand or new, she is still going to have to replace them. Where does she stand?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Grantham, England, UK
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: No legal steps. Discussion and email
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks

Hi thank you for your message, in essence they will need to agree on the valuation of the goods but I agree with the principle elucidated above namely the gifted items should be included in the valuation as they will need to be replaced by your daughter. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Many thanks. Would it be worth paying, and asking, a solicitor to write a letter to my daughter's partner? He has ended the relationship and they will also have to pay an indemnity fee for the mortgage which they only changed two months ago (about 1 month before he unexpectedly ended the relationship)? We had hoped that he might feel a moral obligation to also cover the costs for this too but he has refused.We are reluctant to go down a legal route as I am sure it could be very costly to my daughter but don't see why my daughter should be financially out of pocket.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
15/01/2020 09:52Many thanks. Would it be worth paying, and asking, a solicitor to write a letter to my daughter's partner? He has ended the relationship and they will also have to pay an indemnity fee for the mortgage which they only changed two months ago (about 1 month before he unexpectedly ended the relationship)? We had hoped that he might feel a moral obligation to also cover the costs for this too but he has refused.We are reluctant to go down a legal route as I am sure it could be very costly to my daughter but don't see why my daughter should be financially out of pocket.

Hi thank you for your message a solicitor writing a letter may help in terms of having a sense of authority however, it might also provoke her ex into also hiring a solicitor and then this leading to deterioration in the negotiations. Therefore, your daughter may be best persevering for now.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks. One last question for now: the ex is also saying that he shouldn’t have to give her money for items he bought on his own (she also bought items on her own which she has no use for in her new place). Her point is that the house was a joint venture and they both put into the house and therefore contents were ‘pooled.’ Is this an incorrect assumption?

No, that is a reasonable assumption. The whole contents should be valued.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Great thanks!

Glad I could help, take care.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My daughter has had a response from her ex and he now says that rather than buying the entire contents off her, he wants to divide up what they have. My daughter has accepted this in order to move forward, but I’d just like to clarify a couple of things.
A) When dividing the contents, I assume they both end up with goods which amount to a similar value?
B) Just to clarify, in order to do this fairly, gifted goods have a value?
C) My daughter is moving to a property without a garden, so has no use for the garden furniture or BBQ. Also the beds are not suitable as her new property is smaller than the joint property. If she doesn’t want/need the beds and garden furniture, is she entitled to other contents which amount to the same value? Can she ask for half of the value of these items, whether gifted or bought?

A) Yes

B) Yes]

C) Yes she should be entitled to other goods to the same value as those she does not want.

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what happens if they can’t agree on the value of items or can’t agree on who has what?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are valuations based on second hand value or what it cost to buy them initially? What about calculating the cost of second hand goods given to them?
Hi thank you for your message, if they can’t agree on valuation they would need to get a valuer. In terms of cost it should be based on either what it cost them to but Initially if it’s not currently available for purchase or current market value if it is in essence the cost of replacement. The same measure can be used for goods given to them.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Glad I could help, take care.