UK Solicitor John
UK Solicitor John, Solicitor
Experience:  8 years legal experience
106125879

I was wondering how I stand to keep one of my dogs please.

Assistant: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: North west England. Blackpool
Assistant: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: My partner of 3 years had a dog before he met me with his previous fiance. He didn't move in with me but his dog did. The dogs microchip is still in his ec name even that we have been asking her for 3 years to get it changed. Louie (the dog) moved in with me and my 2 dogs and they very quickly became a little close not family. I'm a dog groomer so the dogs has come with me every day to work. And during these 3 years me an Louie has a very close bond and I'm also the one that have paid for all of his day to day cost. Me and his dad has now split up and I'm wondering if i have any chance at all to keep him. Thank you and sorry for long message
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Sorey just put all in there I'm so sorry

Hello welcome to the site.

How old is the dog? Did your ex partner have him from a puppy and does he still wish to keep Louie?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Louie is 6 years old and yes he does. I'm just scared that if my ex partner will take him and then have to fo into hospital or anything that he will be given to someone else
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Yes he has had him from being a puppy

Are you seeking sole ownership or to share him? (Legally)

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Either or
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Preferably on my own

Ok thanks.

Well it will be difficult, because legally the dog is his but there still is a possibility so we cannot rule it out. I appreciate you have developed a bond with the dog and the thought of not seeing him can be difficult.

What you can do is seek the advice of a solicitor to make an application for the declaration ownership under the Torts (Interference With Goods) Act 1977. A case will be heard in a small claims court and it will be the District Judges who has the power to determine who is the dog’s sole owner and they then may direct that this person has sole possession.

A Court is not bound to require that the owner have possession of a dog as this is a discretionary remedy but they may also rule that there is joint ownership so whilst you may not have sole ownership this would still be a positive outcome as you would still get to see Louie and have him legally.

A Small Claims Court will consider a variety of information when determining who owns the dog and will look at things like who takes care of the dog, who pays the dogs day to day expenses, who’s name is recorded at the vets, who is registered on the microchip etc.

A firm you can call who can help you is Cooper and Co Solicitors on 01304 755 557 they specialise in this and can inform you based on further details if you have a chance with getting Louie. He does sound like a much loved member and I wish you well in your pursuit.

I hope I have assisted you today. Please take a moment to leave a rating for me. Kind regards, John.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you so much I will call them tomorrow