How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 17649
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

My mum is 89 and rents a one bed flat. the council pay her

This answer was rated:

my mum is 89 and rents a one bed flat. the council pay her rent. she pays 650 per month and 144 council tax. we are leaseholders and have a spare room and as she cant manage very well we decided to rent her own room. she will not be paying council tax or gas etc but we would require some rent. i just spoke to the council and they tell me as she is a relative they will not pay anything, is there a way round this
JA: What steps has your mother taken so far? Has she prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: no we are just thinking what to do
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: romford essex, 10 minutes up the road
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

I am not with you - you are renting a room to her and they wont pay?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
we are thinking of moving her in. we will take care of her and feed her etc but will need rent. as she is my mother and will be living with us we are not entitiled not even drawing up an agreement
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is this where i should wait for your reply i am partcially sighted myself

The problem you have is, she is having care which a reasonable family member would give anyway.

So they are right when the Council say they wont pay.

You can write and make a complaint to the Chief Officer of the Council. They will investigate the matter and report back to you.

If they do not uphold the complaint you can then go to the Local Government Ombudsman.

They offer a free, independent service and can examine your complaint for free at:

It may be if you set up a proper agreement, go through an agency, charge market rent, your complaint is upheld.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is the chief officer of the council at our local council (havering) just address it to him
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
even my son pays £20 per week so how is this possible

Yes just address to the Council.

As I have said, they will be concerned its a sham agreement.

That is why you need to make a complaint.

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you