How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 16478
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

My brother in law is 74 years old, lives on his own in

This answer was rated:

My brother in law is 74 years old, lives on his own in rented accommodation and had a major stroke on December 23rd. He is in hospital and has considerable brain damage. It would seem unlikely that he would ever be able to look after himself. We do not have access to any of his documents but know that rent will soon be due and have no way of paying it. Could you please advise our best course of action.
JA: Where is your brother-in-law? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Heartlands hospital birmingham
JA: What steps has your brother-in-law taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't think of anything

Good morning. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service therefore i maybe delayed in replying.

is he mentally capable?

has the landlord been made aware?

who is his next of kin?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He is not mentally capable.
The landlord has not yet been advised.
His next of kin are his two sisters
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
At this stage we would rather not incur any additional costs.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
However we would appreciate any advise you can give us.

The offer of a telephone call comes out automatically. It’s optional. You can just ignore it or request it later.

We can continue on here.

You need to refer this to social services. At this stage, they can be your best friend.

Otherwise you cannot deal with your brother’s affairs unless he is able to agree to let you do so which it appears that he cannot.

Here are all the details on the donor making the application to appoint a Attorney under a Lasting Power

if however the person who would normally be making the appointment does not have the mental capacity to grant the power-of-attorney to someone else, then whoever wishes to look after that person’s affairs will have to make an application to court to become a deputy. Here are the details on that:

please note that the latter process is a lot longer than just applying for to appoint a Attorney under a Lasting Power. It could easily take six months.

Solicitors will charge about GBP500 for making the first Attorney -type application and about GBP1500 to appoint a deputy.

There is no legal aid.

This is very much a go yourself job, it’s just a case of going through the paperwork slowly and methodically.

Please note that in either case the person who is going to look after the affairs can be appointed to deal with finances only or health and welfare only or both.

Social Services would be able to make an interim application in the short-term or you could make an interim application to the Court of Protection. That would be to allow you to deal with the immediate problem not long-term.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

Thank you.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.


F E Smith and other Law Specialists are ready to help you