How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 17649
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

My sister and I jointly own a flat, which is rented out to

This answer was rated:

My sister and I jointly own a flat, which is rented out to tenants. I want to sell/release my share so I can buy a bigger property with my own family. My sister does not want to sell, hence the issue
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: The only steps I have taken is to get three valuations from local independent estate agents. My sister was meant to do the same and we would take an average of these 6 valuations and come to a price.
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: Guildford, Surrey
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Relationship has broken down with my sister, so this is the last link I want to sever from her. She has based her valuation on 2017 (an offer was made when he tried to sell the property then).

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Ok - what you have to do is get a Court order.

If you jointly own it, then you can seek an order for sale.

There would be a joint estate agent instruction and it would be sold.

They can't stop you selling your share.

Either they buy you out or its sold and proceeds split.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do I go about the Court Order?

You need to complete form N1:

Its the same as a debt form, but its the only form to issue a claim of this type.

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you