Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My sister and I jointly own a flat, which is rented out to

My sister and I jointly own a flat, which is rented out to tenants. I want to sell/release my share so I can buy a bigger property with my own family. My sister does not want to sell, hence the issue
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: The only steps I have taken is to get three valuations from local independent estate agents. My sister was meant to do the same and we would take an average of these 6 valuations and come to a price.
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: Guildford, Surrey
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Relationship has broken down with my sister, so this is the last link I want to sever from her. She has based her valuation on 2017 (an offer was made when he tried to sell the property then).

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Ok - what you have to do is get a Court order.

If you jointly own it, then you can seek an order for sale.

There would be a joint estate agent instruction and it would be sold.

They can't stop you selling your share.

Either they buy you out or its sold and proceeds split.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
How do I go about the Court Order?

You need to complete form N1:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7

Its the same as a debt form, but its the only form to issue a claim of this type.

Does that clarify?