How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalNinja Your Own Question
LegalNinja, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 874
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
LegalNinja is online now

I wish to gift money to my son and would like advice in how

This answer was rated:

I wish to gift money to my son and would like advice in how to word it .
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hackbridge surrey
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Ihave informed his solicitor as this is a deposit towards a house purchase.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: can you explain P E T


I will be helping you today.

You can simply say to the solicitor that you wish to gift your son the deposit to be used towards the house purchase. The solicitor will then provide you with any further instructions to follow.

A potentially expemt transfer allows an individual to make a gift which becomes exempt from IHT if the individual survives seven years. This is explained further below:

Is there anything else I can clarify?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Apart from p e t is there another way to avoid tax ie in trust

A trust is a good option to reduce IHT liability. Here is some information on this below:

Will that be all?

Hello are you still there?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am gifting £250000 towards a morgage deposit is this the same as p e t

The information in the links provided does cover this point.

Most gifts you make to other people during your lifetime (unless they fall into the list of tax-free gifts) are classified as ‘potentially exempt transfers’ or PETs for short.

The total amount you can give in gifts in an tax year while you're alive (your 'annual exemption') is £3,000.00

Generally PETs are applied to your £325,000 tax-free allowance before the rest of your estate. So, unless you've given gifts worth more than this allowance, the recipients are very unlikely to pay inheritance tax .

I do hope that clarifies. Is there anything else I can help with


Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for now

It's a pleasure.

I would be grateful for a 5 star rating at the top of your screen for my time. It is important to leave a rating as is how Experts are are credited for their time.

All the best.


LegalNinja and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you