Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
106282438

18 months ago I hired a car in Croatia. Approx 18 hrs after

18 months ago I hired a car in Croatia. Approx 18 hrs after the key fob stopped working. When I returned to uk I had been charged for a replacement. Tesco bank refunded me the money but now the car company are trying to get the money from me through a credit management company
Assistant: Where is this? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: I hired the car in September 2018
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've contacted Tesco, but they said we refunded the money to you so there is nothing more we can do. Where do I stand legally?
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The car company are accusing me of getting the key fob wet which was not the case

Welcome to JA.

I suggest you challenge the fee on the basis that the key fob damage was not as a result of your actions and instead this damage was something that would have happened in any event regardless of whether it was was hired to you or not. Further the timing( less than 24 hours after hire)of the damage to the key fob supports your position too.

Do you understand what I have stated if yes I will proceed to the next step?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.

I suggest you send letters or any evidence of the complaints you made regarding the key fob when you initially reported the issue as this will show that this happened less than 24 hours after hire which shows it was more likely the key fob was defective. Further ensure you include reasons where it was not your fault and it was caused by water damage when you had the key fob.

Once they receive your evidence they will review and likley accept your points unless they have very good evidence to prove you caused the damage.

I hope I have clarified the position if not please let me know.

If I have clarified the position please rate the assistance provided by clicking on the the 5 stars button at the top of your screen as this will help improve the service given in future.

Please note rating does not come at any extra costs.