Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
107013918

Could you tell me if it is legal for an advertising sales

Could you tell me if it is legal for an advertising sales person to tell advertisers that a magazine has changed its name and now its called something else, when that is not the case?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm in the UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: We have spoken to our past advertisers and they have been told that our publication is now being published under another similiar name, which is not the case. We have not gone any further.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's quite complicated. The magazine has been published for 25 years. The title owner licensed it to a man who has published it for 10 years. He has now retired but was trying to sell it which he should not have done. The proposed purchasers are now using the same salesperson and she is telling everyone that its now being published under a new name which is the company she is now working for.

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and will be able to resolve your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

To enable me to answer your query, please provide me with some further information about your legal issue and how you want a lawyer to help you.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I want to contact this salesperson and tell her what she is doing is not legal, but need to know what to say.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No, I do not want to spend more money. I thought it was just the case of a simple answer to my question.

Are you wanting to claim for breach of contract against the magazine's advertises for financial losses as a result of their change of its name without permission?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No, I just want to stop the sales person from telling people that the magazine is being published under a new name, which is the name of the publication she is now working for.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Sorry, I don't think you understand my question, so I am signing off and cancelling my membership.

I understand your question now, thank you.

This is a case of Intellectual Property Rights Infringement. You need to instruct specialist commercial and dispute resolution solicitors to send a letter of claim and cease and desist to the other party telling her to cease misusing your copyright and brand name or you will sue her for damages. If she refuses, you should apply to court to take out an injunction and claim damages from her.

I hope this resolves your enquiry. Please revert to me if you have any further questions and I will be delighted to assist.

Otherwise, I shall be grateful if you will please mark your enquiry as “Closed” and give me a “Positive” rating in order to conclude this matter.

LawyerEd