UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

I have a dispute with my sons university about college fees.

I have a dispute with my sons university about college fees. He left after a week this term (his 2nd term) but the college is trying to charge us 50% of the annual fee.

Please upload a copy of the terms and conditions in place with the education provider.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I don’t have them in me
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
On me
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
You won’t call a US number. We are Brits living in the USA - son is in the UK.

I need to see them to establish what the terms and conditions are in connection with the refund of fees.

You may try and upload them later.

I am afraid I cannot call

UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok. My son is At Winchester Uni. He finished term 1 but just before the break he had a big wobble and felt he didn’t want to return. We talked to the I ternatio a liaison officer who gave him the holidays to think about it (with no specific deadline). My so. Talked to him just before term 2 started and agreed to come back. In the meantime my son has been seeing a therapist - he is. It in a good place mentally and we feel h made a decision that he wasn’t sure about. We emailed the liaison officer just before my son returned and said he was wobbling - and even though we were sending him back at what point did the ‘clock’ start on term 2. Ie, when would we owe money. Because we felt that my son would want to come home in week one. No response. My husband called him several times this week - not available. Eventually he picked up a call today. We asked him again about finance. He sent us a generic email stating that we would have to pay 59% of the annual fees because my son went to a couple of lectures. We think this is grossly unfair since we warned him that our son may leave this week and had asked repeatedly what the financial situation would be if he started on Tuesday (first lecture) with no response. What can we do?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
So are we texting or calling? Email
Is unclear..
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
https://www.winchester.ac.uk/about-us/leadership-and-governance/termsandconditions

Sorry, I was offline.

We may continue by email.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Okay - I have a meeting in 5 mins but I outlined the issue above. Thoughts? I have all of the emails sent to the international guidance counsellor requesting information about when the 'clock' started if needed.

Please see page 13 of this document: https://www.winchester.ac.uk/about-us/leadership-and-governance/policies-and-procedures/?download=true&id=231

The above will be binding on your son.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I also just sent an email to the Dean.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I can read that for myself! However, as per my note above, on several occasions, we emailed the international advisor asking him when payment would begin in this term. We told him that if it began on day one of the term, then we wouldn't let our son start. He never responded. WE continued to ask him as we were putting our son on the plane. He only picked up the phone today. Surely the fact that he didn't respond gives us some leeway?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Our son was not in a good place mentally. He saw a therapist 3 times over the break.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Plus we feel that the international advisor delayed picking up our calls and emails until my son had started deliberately. We know he started back at college on January 6.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The advisor started back on the 6th. My son only went to his first lecture on Tuesday of this week.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi - sorry do you have any more advice? Pointing out a line on their document isn’t exactly 50 quids worth?

I am afraid legally I do not see you having good grounds to challenge this. However, you may take it up in court and let the court decide. The court has the final say.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Honestly this isn't helpful to me at all. I don't think it is worth the amount I agreed to pay. I had already read the section you highlighted and of course, these things can be challenged in court.

I'm not sure what your question or expectation is?

Obviously we cannot tell you what you want to hear just so that you feel you have spent money well. Or at least I could but I would have to warn you that the answer is wrong.

On what basis were you hoping to challenge this? If he dropped out he has taken a place from somebody else an is liable to pay the full amount in fact. Why do you think he shouldn't pay? What is the challenge?