Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

We have a court hearing next. My daughter is the applicant

Hi...we have a court hearing next. My daughter is the applicant and we are trying to keep my granddaughter away from the respondent as two acts of violence were carried out by the respondent in front of my granddaughter whilst visiting the paternal grandparents home. The charges were dropped so we have put an order in place to safeguard my granddaughter. Can my daughter apply for legal aid on the grounds of abuse in front of my granddaughter by the respondent? Thank you. *****: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: Yes a C100 and C1a.
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Luton Bedfordshire
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes please. The free consultation Solicitor we saw this morning said the abuse had to be directed at my daughter to warrant legal aid. Thank you
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm did the solicitor say you cannot get legal aid?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi....he said my daughter needs to collect evidence of abuse against her which is not documented. However there are police records of violence by the respondent in front of my granddaughter. My daughter was means tested and this met the legal aid criteria. Thank you
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Can I continue online please
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi....is my consultation still current. Thank you
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Still waiting for a response please
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Sorry I asked to continue online.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Sorry I did not accept a phone call... a message stated that the Solicitor was unable to call and would I like to continue online ro which I replied yes.
Hi, thank you for your message. Yes she should be able to apply for legal aid.
You may qualify for legal aid if you have low income and want to take the case to court. You can check if you can get legal aid here: https://www.gov.uk/check-legal-aid.
2)
You might be able to find a pro bono lawyer by attending a LawWorks Clinic. The LawWorks Clinics Network is a network of free legal advice sessions that LawWorks (the Solicitors Pro Bono Group) supports. For more information and to find a network near you please visit the following website: https://www.lawworks.org.uk/legal-advice-individuals/find-legal-advice-clinic-near-you
I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you Joy, that's great. I will certainly give you a good rating.