Lawyer21
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer
31642296

My partner and I are travelling to Thailand on 6th March

Hello, My partner and I are travelling to Thailand on 6th March 2020, however my partner is a nigerian citizen but has lived in the UK for 20 years and has indefinite leave for the UK. he also travelled to thailand in 2016 with friends for 17 days and had no issue with this visa. He went to the embassy to apply for his visa today with all the relevant information, the booked flights, hotels, transfers etc. And they denied his visa because of a spent conviction from 2006. Is this allowed? Please can you help? We have spent over £2k on this trip of a lifetime and it is all non refundable and its extremely upsetting.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: My partner has a nigerian passport but doesn't and has not lived there for 20 years
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the visa?
Customer: No not yet, this just happened today
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi How can I help?

It would be a good idea for your partner to obtain a Police Clearance Certificate before he travels.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He has done that already, but they denied the visa still

He can obtain one by going to www.acro.police.co.uk

Have you check on his CRB whether the conviction is become spent now?

There are some that never become spent and others that do.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It has, it was 12 years ago
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was a minor charge

I see - apply for his CRB Enhanced disclosure

Thank you and good luck

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Does that show that the conviction is spent?

Yes it will do if it was a minor charge

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I would be grateful if you could spare a moment and give a positive rating by clicking on the above and press submit - thank you