Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have just been made aware that a collections agency called

I have just been made aware that a collections agency called Elderbridge has a Charging Order on my house. What can I do about it?
JA: Where is this? And when did the issue begin?
Customer: This is in the UK and I just learned about this yesterday.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have contacted them to find out what this is about Elderbridge have stated that they got the loan in 2016 - but was amazed that no one has contacted me to tell me about it.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The original loan is for £28000. Elderbridge are now stating that I need to pay £62,000 to clear the debt.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have no supporting documents. I am will to pay to settle this debt but cannot pay £62,000
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
18. How long does a charging order last?

Section 20 of the Limitation Act 1980 prevents the commencement of any action to recover money secured by a mortgage or other charge on a property after 12 years have elapsed following the date on which the right to receive the money accrued.

Following the decision in the Court of Appeal case of Doodes v Gotham (see Note 3 below) , the official receiver should be aware that the 12 year limitation period does not commence from the date the order is obtained, but from the date that an order for sale is obtained. It is reasonable to assume that this also applies where property is disposed of voluntarily.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Where does Section 18 of Section 313 of the Insolvency Act 1986 fit with this? I'm happy to pay something to the Debt collection Agency - but surely £62, 000 is a complete rip off.

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Do you know what it is for?

Was it because a CCJ?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No it was not a CCJ. It was a loan from barclays

I will call shortly, will show as withheld.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
ok

Pleasure