Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

We’ve just insured my 17 year sons car, yesterday they came

Hi,we’ve just insured my 17 year sons car, yesterday they came to fit a black box , the gentleman that came said he couldn’t do it as the car has been modified. We didn’t know the car had been modified when we bought the car . They are saying because it’s not got a back window wipe they now cannot insure him. I explained we would put it back to manufactures standard but they said this still wouldn’t be good enough as they know it was modified. How do we stand on this .
Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: England
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Derbyshire
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I’ve rang them and told them we would get it sorted in the next 7 days as that’s what they given us to find a new insurance
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We paid them nearly £800 deposit and the insurance only start last Wednesday 8/1/2020

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Have you had a garage check to see if it has been modified?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The garage has checked and said it’s not been modified for the wiper but does have wind shields on which are easy to take off .
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The insurance said they will expect wind shields but his insurance my go up .
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It’s already costing £2400

Ok, so cant you take those wind shields off?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
they can come off, that’s not the problem, there saying even if we put a window wiper on the back window they know we’ve done it . They are saying it’s been modified and we’re saying it’s not . But if it has we can put it back to how it was before we bought the car .
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But they won’t except that and saying their under writers won’t except it.

Sadly if it has been modified and it was not declared that is an issue.

You should write and make a formal complaint to them

They will investigate the matter and report back to you.

If they do not uphold the complaint you can then go to the Financial Ombudsman who regulate these people

They can examine your complaint at: www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk

That should resolve it for you.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok Thankyou

Pleasure