How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Turner Your Own Question
Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1241
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ed Turner is online now

I am worried about my husbands debt and want to know if I

This answer was rated:

Hi I am worried about my husbands debt and want to know if I can protect my half of the house? He would be able to start again as he has good wage but I wouldn’t as I work part time and have 3 children. How do I find out how much debt he is in and if our house is being used against it. Hope that makes sense thank you
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
Assistant: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and will be able to resolve your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi email would be easier for me if possible please

Your husband's debts are his and unless the contracts were entered into in joint names, you cannot be pursue for them. Any charging order obtained by a creditor will be against his half of the house, not yours.

You can check your husband's credit rating using a public record such as Experian, but they will only give an overall picture rather than details of his bank overdraft and credit card debt.

Your husband may wish to consider an Individual Voluntary Arrangement with his creditors which is a plan partial repayment of debts and not as drastic an bankruptcy.

I hope this resolves your enquiry. Please revert to me if you have any further questions and I will be delighted to assist.

Otherwise, I shall be grateful if you will please mark your enquiry as “Closed” and give me a “Positive” rating in order to conclude this matter.

Kind regards


Ed Turner and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you very much for your help ! Five stars