Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have had a new roof put on my ongoing refurb project of

Customer Question

I have had a new roof put on my ongoing refurb project of our recently purchased house. I went through a solar panel company who said they also did roofs, the roof is now complete and final payment due but the quality of work is poor. I have had a survey done by a chartered surveryor who is putting a report together who confirms there are issues, it has been suggested that the roof may need to be done again. Wanted to know my rights on the final payment due and any costs associated with redoing the roof.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: so far I have just asked for the chartererd surveyor to view and write report nothing else. I did express my concerns throughout the build to both the roofer and the director of the company by email, text and the occasional heated discussions outside property.
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: Apperley, Gloucesterhsire
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no dont think so
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Is the company aware of the quality of the work they have done; have you informed them? If so, are they willing to rectify it?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They are aware that I was not happy with the work as it was going along, they completed it on Thursday but I did tell them that I would be getting an independent survey done. I have not told them yet that intial survey is suggesting there are quite a few issues that need dealing with. I am fairly reluctant to have the safe roofer as he chose not to listen to our concerns all the way through the project,

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. When a person enters into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that the work must be:

{C}· Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession)

In addition, any information exchanged in communications between the parties, whether written or verbal, is binding if the consumer relies on it. This will include quotations and any promises about timescales or the results to be achieved.

If there are problems with any of the above, the customer will have certain rights:

In the event of substandard work, the trader should either redo the parts of the work which are inadequate or perform the whole service again at no extra cost to the customer. This must be done within a reasonable time and without causing significant inconvenience. If this is not possible, the consumer can claim a price reduction, based on the severity of the issues. If the trader refuses to resolve the issues, the consumer can consider getting someone else to do this and either deduct these costs from the total owed to the original trader, or pursue them for any extra costs that have been incurred.

In order to resolve any problems that have arisen, it is generally recommended that the following steps are followed:

{C}1. Collect all documents relating to the work (e.g. quote, contract, correspondence, etc.).

{C}2. Contact the trader and explain your problem. Ask them to resolve any issues and set a reasonable time limit for them to respond (7-14 days is common).

{C}3. In the meantime, find out if the trader is a member of a trade association with a mediation service that can help resolve the complaint.

{C}4. If the matter is still not resolved, write to the trader repeating your complaint and how you would like them to resolve the issues. Say you are giving them a final time limit of 7 days to resolve the problem or you will have to consider taking legal proceedings to recover your losses and any additional costs.

{C}5. If the trader fails to respond or refuses to resolve the problem, you could consider taking legal action. Remember that court is a last resort, however it can be a good negotiating tool because it shows you are serious about resolving this and may prompt the trader to reconsider their position.

{C}6. Finally, make sure that keep copies of all correspondence.

If you wish to take the matter further and issue legal proceedings, assuming you will just be claiming financial compensation, you may issue your claim via the Court’s online portal at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. Any money owed can also be offset from what they may owe you.

Does this answer your query?

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thnakyou Ben, yes your reply is great information, I am meeting with the company this morning so having this information will be great with the discussions.