Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Ellem, a business from the Middle Eastern is asking me to

Customer Question

Hi Ellem, a business from the Middle Eastern is asking me to join their companies board and are giving an offer that sounds too good to be true. I have asked them to give me assurances on the role and remuneration. They are asking for me to send them a Non-Disclosure Agreement? How can I protect myself to make sure this offer is genuine or not? Thanks, Daniel
JA: Where are they? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Qatar
JA: What steps have they taken so far?
Customer: I met with one of their representatives yesterday an expensive London hotel lobby, he seemed legit, but know some scammers can also be well rehearsed. He has sent me their executive summary that is it.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is it for now thanks
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
An employee of the company found my details/CV on LinkedIn
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

DO you have any details on the company, like website or email?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi Ben, I just read this websites terms, can I just double check this conversation is private please?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi Ben, I just read this websites term, can I just double check this conversation is private please?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Their website is currently under construction and I have been in contact with them via email. Also I can see some of their employee profiles on LinkedIn but still remain cautious. They want me to provide them with information and contacts, before they then give me the board position and equity, however I have said I need assurances of the role and incentives/remuneration first. Is there any kind of contract I could give them that would protect my interests?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

Hi we are a public forum so anything on here is public

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi Ben, ok I am not able to talk on the phone just right now, but may call you tomorrow. In the meantime, if you are able to give any general advice, please let me know, or may speak more tomorrow. Thanks
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 18 days ago.

Hi there, how you protect yourself will very much depend on what they my have in mind, in the event of a potential scam. Do they want to take away your contacts? Do they want money from you?

In the event that they want to take your contacts and then give you nothing in return, this would usually be dealt with through a restrictive covenants agreement, where certain restrictions on how they use the information you share with them are outlined. However, such an agreement is only as good as they are prepared to honour it. After all, they can just ignore it and breach it regardless of what is stated in it. In that situation, it would be a case of you pursuing them in court for the alleged breach of the agreement, but as they are in Qatar, it may not be that easy to do and you will likely have to look at some local lawyers to get you an agreement which will protect you over there.

Does this clarify things a little bit more for you?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 16 days ago.

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you