plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

My son has been excluded from college. His friend and him

My son has been excluded from college. His friend and him were messing around with a oily pocket they wrapped it and it was out on the other pupils head. The other pupil admits they were both messing. The head of school was saying to other pupil Steven was bullying you he answered no Steven was strangling and suffocating you he said no. Steven my son excluded Friday I asked to speak to head of school or personal tutor that was refused. I asked for a copy of the behaviour policy and complaints policy I was told no I asked could I collect hard copies was told no. Asked how long exclusion was they couldn’t tell me I would find out from a letter. They are planning an investigation panel on Wednesday to try to sort before half term. What rights do we have?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: newport South Wales at Cross keys college
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: this happened Friday they don’t want to engage just taking it straight to investigation panel to decide if he can stay in college as despite other boy saying they were both messing around and Steven wasn’t being nasty but they appear to not want to listen to that they just seem to want to get rid of him at least that’s how it seems
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just what I say to panel for best outcome for my son
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The head of school also because my son got frustrated because he asked if I could go down and be spoken to but was told no became agitated. Head of school asked who did he think he was talking to told him he’d had enough that he was suspended and to get out. My son was also asked to repeat the action which he refused to do because he said you’ve accused me of suffocating George and now you want me to repeat it and I don’t think that’s right
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Poly pocket not oily pocket sorry

Hello, my name is*****’ve been asked to look at this for you, thank you for your patience.

Please bear in mind as this is an email service and not live chat I may not respond immediately.

I have located the complaints procedure for via the college's website - see the link here:

https://www.coleggwent.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/coleg-gwent-complaints-policy-2019-2022-en.pdf

I cannot find a behaviour policy directly but there is a link towards the end of this document here for you: https://www.coleggwent.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Coleg-Gwent-Student-Charter-2019-2021-en.pdf

I hope this assists?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I found these I just know how to formulate a statement that sounds as if I know what I’m talking about xx

I can't write a statement for you as part of the service we offer here, but you have two approaches - one is to be non-confrontational and hopefully appeal to their good nature - focussing on the fact that this was a silly episode of two boys messing around, no harm done, both clear there was no malicious intent, and that no further action needs to be taken. Your son could write an apology stating how he realises that his actions were thoughtless and could have caused harm, but that they were both messing around and no harm was intended.

The second approach is to go through the complaints policy and highlight everything they have not done correctly in simply excluding him and taking this to panel without any of the other steps that should have taken place first.

I hope this assists?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

My pleasure.

If you have further questions, you can always come back to me.

In the meantime, if you could take a second to provide a 5 star rating (at the top right of your screen), I'll be credited for my time spent responding to your question.

Kind regards,

Peter

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can’t find the stars

You should be able to click "accept" for the answer then the stars will appear - I think. Thank you!

plclegal, Barrister
Experience: Barrister at law