How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 1605
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

My sister in law is the executor of my mother in laws will.

Customer Question

Hi, my sister in law is the executor of my mother in laws will. My mother in law died in November 2018 and her will was read in January 2019 which stated that her house gets sold and split evenly between her three children ( my husband, his brother and sister who is the executor plus any monies left in her account after all debts, taxes fees etc are paid goes to her daughter. No one in the family is debating the will and my sister in law is supposed to sell the house but it’s been over a year and there’s been no progress as she wants to look at getting planning permission for building a 4 bed house at the end of the garden and I wanted to know where we stand as my husband would prefer for the property to be sold ASAP but his sister is dragging her heels. How long can she take in carrying out her plans and do we have to be kept informed in writing? Many thanks
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me where this is?
Customer: Andover Hampshire but my husband and I live in Bournemouth
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: we have a copy of the will which was one paragraph stating that the house be sold and split equally 3 ways and any monies left and the end goes to her daughter
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we just want to know what our rights are regarding the time that it’s taking
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm have you spoken to anyone about this matter?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I haven’t as yet
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi I don’t want to call just online if possible please
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your message. She should act within a reasonable time. If you want to complain about her behaviour or are concerned about the timeline you will need to bring the matter to court. I would advise that should you decide to do so you find a solicitor in your area to represent you.

You can find a solicitor through the law society using this function: (you will be able to search by area of expertise and location).I hope this helps. - if you can please accept the answer there will be a box to do so and give me a 5 star rating (top right corner of your screen) and Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.