ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Advocate
Experience:  Adjunct Lecturer at University of Technology
104128041

I was born in Barcelona, Spain in 1962 and was adopted by my

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I was born in Barcelona, Spain in 1962 and was adopted by my British step-father in October 1980. After 40 years living in England and having become British, I am planning to move back to Barcelona at the end of the year. I am trying to find out how I can obtain a copy of the court decision that established my adoption, as i have been advised that this is required by the Spanish government.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I have requested my adoption certificate to be apostilled. I have not taken any other steps so far. I currently live in Essex, England and I am a British citizen.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: I have spoken to a pool of lawyers in Spain but have not spoken to any lawyers in the UK - only to an Apostille firm in Essex.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: In view of Brexit looming would it be best for me to retain my British citizenship or should I apply for a Spanish citizenship? - I have a son and daughter who were born in England and will remain in England when I move to Spain...
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 10 days ago.

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be of assistance.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 10 days ago.

Do you know which court the proceeding took place in?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Brentwood in Essex
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I will go to Basildon Magistrate Court to find out if they can give me some answers....
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 9 days ago.

That is correct, it is likely that the curt would have a copy of the information. If you have not already done so, you may also want to contact the adoption centre. I would suggest that you contact them first for information regarding the adoption process. There information is:

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records

The UK allows for its citizens to have dual citizenship. Spain however permits dual citizenship under limited circumstances. Dual citizenship is permitted for all Spanish citizens by origin, so long as they declare their will to retain the Spanish nationality within 3 years of acquiring another nationality. You may therefore find that if you return to Spain you may have to renounce your British citizenship. This legal requirement is currently being reviewed but has not changed as of yet. You will therefore have to continue to watch the news as to whether it has changed. You would therefore have to decide whether you are prepared to renounce your British citizenship.

The above being said however, there is likely to be a withdrawal agreement in place which allow for you to travel easily between both countries. I am unable to give any advise as to what travel arrangements are in place or will be in place as this is yet to be finalized.

I hope I have answered your questions. Do let me know if may further assist. Kindly indicate whether you accept the answer given by clicking on the stars at the top of the page.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I have managed to het the required info from gov.uk
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 9 days ago.

Ok, great!