Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have been accompanying a colleague during her redundancy

Customer Question

I have been accompanying a colleague during her redundancy consultation. As part of this, I have taken detailed minutes of the meetings and shared them with my colleague. She has, as a matter of transparency, then onward shared these with our HR function. I have subsequently been reprimanded by HR as I had drafted the minutes to my colleague in an email from my personal email address to her personal email address. HR have stated that I should only be using corporate email to do this - is this reasonable?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Not yet I don't want to make a big thing of it but feel it is unreasonable
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: Permanent employee
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Have you ever been advised that this is the practice to follow? Please can I also check how long you have worked for this employer?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have worked for my employer for 8 years. No, I was never advised that this was the practice in these specific situations. As a bank, we do have strict policies on data etc but given this was a personal issue where my duty is towards my colleague, who is also currently not at work and therefore using her personal email address, this seems odd from the bank.

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. It is not unreasonable for the employer to ask you to only use work email to communicate sensitive personal information like this. After all, there are rather strict requirements under the GDPR to ensure that personal data is secure and that would also include using secure email servers to transmit that. So it is entirely normal for the employer to only use secure workplace email which can be monitored and which they have control over, in terms of knowing exactly what security it has, how it is used, who has access to it, etc. If you were not officially requested to do this to start with then this should only result in a slap on the wrist, rather than any formal disciplinary action.

Does this answer your query?

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you