Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

We currently do not allow 18 year olds to book our village

We currently do not allow 18 year olds to book our village hall for 18 year old parties. Is this discrimination against 18 year olds?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No it has been word of mouth to date. reason has been due to noise after the event with neighbours complaining
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: In a village next to neighbours - in Scotland
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Responisiblity and liability of the hall keepers

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

What reason do you have for this policy?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
we do not have a written policy, only past experience and word of mouth

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. As a starting point, this practice can be potentially discriminatory because you are specifically targeting an age group and denying them the chance to use your services. However, age discrimination can potentially be defended if you can provide objective justification for your decision. This would depend entirely on the circumstances and our reasons for doing this, but for example you could try and use past evidence of damage caused by such groups which are disproportionately higher than other age groups or anything else which would provide the necessary objective justification to make it clear that you are not just targeting this group without any cause.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Good response

All the best

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Too expensive to take further thanks

don't worry, calls are optional