Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I Have been told by a company who were supposed to come and

I Have been told by a company who were supposed to come and do some work at my home that they have now gone into liquidation but that they would complete my work if I was prepared to wait. I send anoher email last week as I havent heard anything and so far have received not reply. I am wondering whether to take them to the small claims court to get back my deposit, but do not want to do this if they are in liquidation. How do I find out if they are?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Worcester, England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None, apart from the e-mails
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not sure what else they need to know?

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

How much did you pay them and when exactly was this?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I paid a deposit of £1300.00 and the job was to build a unit into an alcove in my kitchen/diner

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. If they are genuinely in liquidation, it would be pointless to pursue them through court as the court claim could be frozen anyway, whilst the insolvency process is ongoing.

If they are a limited company then you can check to see if there are any notices about the impending insolvency on Companies House by searching their name:

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk//wcframe?name=accessCompanyInfo

You can also search the Law Gazette:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/

If they are proceeding with liquidation then it is best to contact the liquidators to ensure they are aware you are a creditor of the company and they will then distribute any of their money/assets to pay off any creditors, although what you get will depend on how much money they have.

Does this answer your query?

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Yes

All the best