JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

My partner has taken out a bank loan which I knew nothing

My partner has taken out a bank loan which I knew nothing about. He was allowed a loan stating the overall income of the household (my income) although I knew nothing about it and now he cannot afford repayments without me helping. Is the bank allowed to do that as I cannot afford it
JA: Where is your partner? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In lincolnshire uk
JA: What steps has your partner taken so far?
Customer: None. I have only just found out and as we have a joint utilities account he has been paying it by borrowing from that
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at present

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) happy to help you today.

Are you married, or unmarried and cohabiting?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Unmarried
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am very hard of hearing so cannot. I am sorry

No problem, we can deal with the question online.

If you live together then he could use "household" income as part of his application - the lender would have asked him about total household income when they assessed affordability for the loan. If the loan is just in his name then it's perfectly legal - though if he took out a joint one and forged your signature then that's a different story.

I presume the loan is unsecured - if so then the house is not at risk. The worst that would happen is his credit rating suffers if he falls behind with the payments.

Does this help?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I hope this helps? If you would kindly give me a 5 star rating (at the top of your screen), any follow up questions are welcome and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim