SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

Family law, Manchester, My ex is taking me to court for

Family law
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Manchester
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: My ex is taking me to court for parental rights name on birth certificate after no contact since I was 9 weeks pregnant except for once when he said he would withdraw from court and then changed his mind
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: He has
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No I'm really struggling I can't afford one I'm on benefits living with parents
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No ty

Hi, I'm Lea and I have reviewed your query.

How can I assist you with this?

Please bear in mind this is an email service and not a live chat so responses may not be instantaneous. I am not available for calls, but in all cases it is very likely you can be helped online.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
What advice can you give me

Has a hearing been listed?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Yes Monday 17th feb

Have you spoken to CAFCASS yet?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No. Please what can I do I want minimal contact

What has the father said in his application?

How old is the child now?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Wants parental rights name on birth certificate he's 1
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I can't afford for you to call

You can ignore the site pop up for a call, it's automated and I am not available to call you anyway - as per my initial post.

Do you have a copy of his application to court? Please attach using the paperclip.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Sure one moment
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Have they come through
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Another
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Is that it

You need to write a position statement for the hearing in which you tell the court your reasons why you oppose the application for parental responsibility and contact.

You will be contacted by CAFCASS, who are court appointed social workers, who will carry out initial background checks with police and social services, and talk to both you and the father to find out what each of you wants. If you have any concerns, you should raise them with CAFCASS and also put them in your position statement.

Other than presenting your position to the court at this moment in time, there isn't anything else you can do. The court will decide whether it needs a full s7 welfare report (very likely given the father has not had any contact with the child at all) before it makes any decisions on whether the child should have contact or whether the father should have PR.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
What iss7 welfare report
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
He saw him once and let him fall and bang his face on a chair. I have photo

It's a report that the CAFCASS officer will write, after interviewing you, father and any other relevant persons (e.g. social services, police etc.). The report will look at home environments, how each parent can meet the child's needs etc. The report will make recommendations to the court as to what the court should do in regards to the applications father has made.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Should I speak with the duty solicitor at court

There aren't any duty solicitors for private law (not at most courts anyway).

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Oh OK. I'm really scared and nervous as I have no idea what to expect

Depending on what court you are going to, they might have volunteers who are known as Support Through Court - you can find more information here: https://www.supportthroughcourt.org/

They can come into court with you and take notes, but they can't speak on your behalf.

Kindly take a moment to rate positively using the five stars at the top of your page as that is how Just Answer know to credit me for assisting you today. Thank you.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Can I have a transcript of our c
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Conversation

You'll need to contact customer services for assistance with that.

Could you kindly rate positively so that I am paid for the time spent assisting you. Thanks.