Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

My car has been in the garage for 3 weeks and they still

Hello, my car has been in the garage for 3 weeks and they still have not fixed it, I would like to take it without paying them as they haven't really done anything to it. What are my rights with this?

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

What reason have they provided for the delay?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Needed parts, but even then when I ordered and provided them with the part they took 4 days to fix it
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Fit it*

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. When a person enters into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that the work must be:

{C}· Finished within a reasonable time (unless a specific time frame has been agreed)

In addition, any information exchanged in communications between the parties, whether written or verbal, is binding if the consumer relies on it. This will include quotations and any promises about timescales or the results to be achieved.

If there are problems with any of the above, the customer will have certain rights:

In the case of delays, for example if the work has substantially gone over the agreed schedule or not been performed within a reasonable time, the consumer can ask for a price reduction to cover any financial losses or inconvenience caused as a result. So if they have done some work from which you will derive a benefit, you will have to pay them something but it may not be at full price and you could argue that you should be given a price reduction for the inconvenience of these delays.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Yes, this covers it all. I appreciate your reply and am grateful for your help. Thank you :)

All the best