Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I just want to seek some advice, I'm currently in Germany

Customer Question

Hi, so I just want to seek some advice
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I'm currently in Germany but the issue is in Romford Essex
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've spoken to my bank regarding the matter
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It is regarding money that was sent to the wrong account
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

What do you specifically want to know about this, please?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 months ago.

There is a voluntary code for the banking industry, which a number of banks have signed up to, that provides certain protection to the victims of fraud. Its main purpose is to ensure those who have lost money through no fault of their own are reimbursed.

The first thing you need to do is contact your bank to check whether they have adopted the Code and if they have – report the scam you have fallen a victim to. The Bank will then have a specific set of criteria to judge whether the customer should get the money back.

In general, anyone who has taken reasonable care is likely to receive a refund of the lost money, whereas a victim who has been "grossly negligent" will not be reimbursed. A decision on whether someone is refunded should be taken within 3 weeks, or if the case is complicated - within 7 weeks.

Therefore, the immediate first step is to contact your bank as soon as possible to report this and ask them to consider this under the fraud reimbursement code so you can potentially get your money back.