Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have a question in relation to the notice period, when

Customer Question

Hi I have a question in relation to the notice period, when employed. Is there a guidance required by law?
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: I think it was with HR. I am not sure, this was the contract which I have signed
JA: Does the workplace operate with employees, freelancers, consultants, contractors or with unionised employees?
Customer: I am required to give 3 moths notice
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: It operates with employees, mainly
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

How long have you worked for your employer?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Almost a year, started end of March 2019

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. Can I just check what specifically you wanted to know about the notice period?

Hello, I am not sure if you saw my query above: Can I just check what specifically you wanted to know about the notice period?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 months ago.

Notice periods are firstly defined under your contract and in the absence of such, by law. So whatever the contract states you must give or receive, that would be the first point of reference. If your contract is silent on this matter, you must give at least a week, and the employer must give you a week for each full year of employment, up to a maximum of 12 weeks

Does this answer your query?