Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

It relates to a friend and is about employment law, She is

It relates to a friend and is about employment law
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: She is in the UK
JA: What steps has she taken so far?
Customer: She has a temporary contract which expires on the 16th and has been told she has to resign from it if she does not wish to continue after the 16th. Naturally this will affect her eligibility for benefits
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing I can think of other than are people obligated to resign from a temporary contract with an expiry if only one party wishes to continue.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Okay. Hi

So does she not want to continue and renew the contract at all or is this not an option?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
She does not wish to continue the contract of employment after its scheduled expiry of 16.02.2020
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
But the employer has suggested she will have to resign for this to be valid.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Her initial letter they describe it as a "hearing"
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Page 1 of contract
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Page 2
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
3
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
4

Thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. This appears to be a fixed-term contract which is where the agreement is to work for a fixed period of time, or up to a fixed date. Once the fixed term comes to an end, the contract will automatically come to an end as well and no notice would be required. Please see here:

https://www.gov.uk/fixed-term-contracts/renewing-or-ending-a-fixedterm-contract

Ending a fixed-term contract

Fixed-term contracts will normally end automatically when they reach the agreed end date. The employer doesn’t have to give any notice.

So she can wait until the end date and then just treat the contract as being finished, unless the employer takes steps to extend it. She is not expected, or required, to give any notice to leave the job.

Does this answer your query?

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Yes thanks! Sorry for not responding sooner

No problem at all, thank you