How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7627
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I had an arranged overdraft with a bank. On switch to

This answer was rated:

I had an arranged overdraft with a bank. On switch to another bank this was not given to me at the onset. Resulting in 'Default' with my bank 1. I repaid the overdraft fully. I want the Default to removed by bank 1. Complained with them unsuccessfully. Now the Financial Ombudsman agreeing to this as well. I want matter to be decided by Ombudsman directly and not the case handler. Can I Do anything?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Repaid all of the overdraft fully.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well, I had written to bank1 many letters to agree a repayment plan without fail. I had a banking relationship with them for over 20 years.
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm you has the ombudsman made a decision through a complaint by you to them?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Yes. But at the case handler stage.

Hi, thank you for your message. You will need to make a formal complaint to the ombudsman who will make a final decision which is binding.

I hope all is well! I would appreciate if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen otherwise I receive no credit for helping you.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Sorry i had mentioned that the complaint went to the bank and also Ombudsman. But the case handler at ombudsman upheld the bank decision. I am thinking of taking to ombudsman now. I need help in that respect.

Hi, thank you for your message. Any decision from the ombudsman is binding. If you want to take the matter further you will need to go to court. . You can find a solicitor through the law society using this function: (you will be able to search by area of expertise and location).

I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The Decision is at the Ombudsman case handler stage. She is concurring to the bank who put my account into default. I want the decision to go to Ombudsman themselves which I know is binding and can only be challenged in courts. I need some guidance on Case Law where customers are not satisfied with the bank or case handler decision. Please this is specific request. Help is required here. Thanks

Hi, thank you for your message I will need to opt out for another expert to help.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok. Thanks

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find continuing a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) happy to help you this evening.

The Ombudsman Service have case handlers to deal with complaints - if you disagree with the case handler's decision then you can ask the Ombudsman to look in to it. If you are unhappy with the case handler then you can ask for their manager to look at the decision - if you still do not agree with the manager's decision then you can ask an independent assessor (Ms Somal) to review it. Here is her website : and she will review the complaint about the Ombudsman's service.

If she agrees with you then she will tell the Ombudsman and they will change their decision.

I hope this helps? If you would kindly leave me a 5 star rating (at the top of your screen), any follow up questions are welcomed and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,


Hi, I hope I’ve answered your question. Please let me know if anything requires clarification.
In the meantime if you could either leave a star rating, or reply “yes”, I would be very grateful.
Many thanks,

JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7627
Experience: Senior Associate Solicitor
JimLawyer and 8 other Law Specialists are ready to help you