12826847

I’m due in court on no insurance and drug driving offence. I

I’m due in court on no insurance and drug driving offence. I know I will most likely get a driving ban but I really cannot afford too as I need my vehicle for work purposes
JA: What state was the citation in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: Citation? i haven’t but I can talk to a duty solicitor on the day of my hearing
JA: Do you need to appear in court?
Customer: i do need to appear in court
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

what was the drug driving offence and when?

what is your job?

how long have you been driving uninsured?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Thankyou for coming back to me. I’m so worried about this!
It happened on the 19th September 2019. Drug driving offence was having cannabis in my bloods as well as no insurance since June but I have rectified that and now have insurance. I was being re texted for cancer at the time and wasn’t even thinking about checking my insurance! I was working in a pharmacy but am no a private nanny for a family. I have learnt my lesson and realised my naivety has cause a big wake up call that won’t be repeated.
I just need some advice on what too do as I cannot afford to lose my licence otherwise my job will also be at risk.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If we can continue to talk via here please rather than on the phone thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Jo, are you able to provide me with any advice or assistance please

Are you asking if you can avoid a ban ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
that’s what I am asking..

Thanks for the information and the time.

I am sorry but I cannot give you good news then. I’m afraid you are in difficulty here.

Unfortunately a conviction for drug driving leads to a mandatory ban. There is no discretion or exceptional hardship test.

The only concession is for drink driving and that if you do the drink driving course you will be offered then you would be given one quarter off the ban. That doesn’t apply to drug driving though.

There will also be a fine proportionate to your income and costs of £85.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thankyou very much for you’re help. Do you know how long the mandatory ban will be for? Or is that up to the judge on the day? Sorry what does fine proportionate to my income mean?

12-16 months. With drug driving there isn't a sliding scale of reading so it should not go beyond that.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I’m sorry to ask such silly Questions. But nothing stands in my favour if this is my first offence? I will still get the minimum of 12 month ban then? I’ll assume there is no other way around this

I'm afraid it is a mandatory minimum imposed by parliament. The fact it is a first offence is reflected by them not imposing the higher ban period which is mandatory for a second intoxicated driving offence within 10 years.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay thankyou Jo for you’re assistance in my matter

No problem and all the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/