JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

My electricity meter had a fault and caught fire. Who is

Customer Question

My electricity meter had a fault and caught fire. Who is responsible?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Leeds, Yorkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: An electrician has viewed the damage, and agrees the probable source of the fire. The fire brigade also stated the "incoming supply" to be the apparent source. My electricity supplier and theelectricity network both say get it fixed and then we will quote for a new meter / reconnect the supply (respectively). Both have declined to come and see the evidence. NB I am not covered by insurance.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: At this stage I want advice on how to proceed. I need to get back into my home asap.
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 7 months ago.

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England & Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and will be able to resolve your legal problem today.

Regarding the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call, I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the offer.

However, if you do not want a phone call, please cancel the offer for a Premium Service Phone Call and you will not be charged extra.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Depends on your reply

The electricity meter manufacturer or installer is probably liable for your property damage.

You must make a claim with your home and contents insurance policy and they will deal with it by paying for the repairs to your home, providing you with alternative accommodation and they will reclaim their outlay from the meter's installer or manufacturer.

I hope this resolves your enquiry. Please revert to me if you have any further questions and I will be delighted to assist.

Otherwise, I shall be grateful if you will please mark your enquiry as “Closed” and give me a “Positive” rating in order to conclude this matter.

LawyerEd

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No call at this stage, thanks.

If you do not want a Premium Service Phone Call, just click the “Reject” button and you will not be charged extra. I am happy to provide you my answer by text on the Portal.

I have not received a notification that you have accepted a Phone Call from my side and therefore you have not been charged extra.

Do you still need expert assistance in this matter?

Please revert to me if you have any further questions and I will be delighted to assist.

LawyerEd

I am pleased that I have resolved your enquiry.

Please give me a five-star rating on the Portal in order to close this thread. Thanks. :)

LawyerEd

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 7 months ago.

Hello, this is Jim and I am a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) happy to help you today.

I note you say you are not covered by insurance. The way forwards would be to sue the manufacturer and also the installer - a letter of claim needs to be sent, with a request for an interim payment (on a without prejudice basis, or in other words - with no admission of liability at this stage) to put you in funds quickly.

The electrician's evidence is vital to determine liability here - so they need to give you something in writing to use as evidence. Once you have that, a letter of claim needs to then be sent - I can give you a template if that helps. I presume you own your property as opposed to renting it. The council may be able to put you in emergency accommodation or if you have to stay in hotels then you can reclaim the costs from the defendant's insurer. It is important to start the claim quickly so that an interim payment can be requested and repairs to be made to the property.

I hope this helps? If you would kindly leave me a 5 star rating (at the top of your screen), any follow up questions are welcomed and I will be credited for helping you today.

Many thanks,

Jim