F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

Can you please help...on renewing my fixed rate mortgage in

Hi Pearl, can you please help...on renewing my fixed rate mortgage in September I discovered that there was a Natonwide mortgage showing on my accont that was not mine and was for another person who has the same name and dob as me but a different middle name.I contacted NW on 3/10/19 who eventually agreed this was not me and said they would look into it and get it removed...in the mean time we had to go on a variable rate mortgage as we could not renew because it showed that I had 2 mortgages. This has been going on since then and have not had clarification that it has been removed...and we actually received the mortgage statement for this mortgage through our door this month!!
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: we have been in conversation via email with Nationwide since then
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: the property the mortgage is located is in Cobham...we live in Strathaven
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we received the extra £120 we have been paying from NW as well as the £14.99 per month for keeping open my credit report and a £200 compensation from NW on 23rd Dec £606, but have not heard anything more

Good afternoon. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service therefore i maybe delayed in replying.

so since you last contacted the Nationwide they still have you as being the owner of another property?

how have you been contacting them? phone? email?

and to whom have you spoken?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
They have me linked to a nationwide mortgage that I do not have, which is showing on my credit file, meaning I cannot renew my mortgage. I have been emailing and phoning mhairi diverte

To be honest, I think that the GBP200 compensation is an insult. I would have wanted substantially more.

I would also want this mortgage removed and I would want it removed by the end of this week!

I had this with Barclays recently on my personal mortgage. It had been repaid and out to ring them three times before someone actually dealt with it. When I eventually got through to the complaints department and threatened to complain to the Financial Ombudsman, the gentleman was extremely helpful and it was indeed done immediately although he said quite rightly, that it would be some days before I heard from the land registry.

They offered me 100 quid and I told them to get lost. They told me that was all that was on offer and I said that was fine, I would complain to the ombudsman. It then went to GBP200.

I was happy with that. BUT in your case, I am flabbergasted by what they have done. That’s why I think yours is worth more.

You can’t beat them with a stick and as they have had since October to do this and they haven’t done it, I would be making a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman now.

You can ring them tomorrow and tell them that you have now taken legal advice and unless this is removed by the end of the week, you will be complaining to the Ombudsman. You have already had one lot of compensation in respect of their earlier failings are now you want further compensation because of the ongoing failing.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES