Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

Afternoon my friend signed a contract with a Saturday school

Customer Question

Afternoon my friend signed a contract with a Saturday school not realising it required her to pay for the whole school year and not just for the sessions the children attended due to her change in circumstances she wasnt able to send them anymore and didnt think shell have to pay for remaining months now they are chasing her for they money and shes not sure what she can do so she asked me for help as her English is quiet limited
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: So far we told the school we will ce contacting you
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think thats it
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

When did your friend's children stop attending the school and how much is she now being asked to pay?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Afternoon and thank you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
They only completed 20 weeks out of 52 and shes being asked to pay 1120.00

No problem at all and thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. if she signed up for the full year and the terms were that she pays for that rather than the individual sessions, then assuming this was clear from the start, she would be liable for it under contract. Sadly, if this was just a mater of her misunderstanding things it will not be reasonable grounds to state she is not contractually liable.

At this stage she could still continue negotiating with the school to see if they can come to an agreement on what she must pay. She could offer part payment and they may prefer that rather than potentially getting nothing.

If they want full payment and she is not willing or able to do that then she can just refuse to pay. Whilst that would make her in breach of contract, the only she can be forced to pay is if they make a claim against her in court, which is not guaranteed. Even if they did claim, it would end up in the Small Claims Court where the risks are rather low as she will not be liable for their legal fees. So she could take that risk and hope that they only make requests and threats, but never actually go as far as court.

Does this answer your query?

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can simply reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’ and I won’t bother you again. Thank you

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? I have not heard back from you since posting my answer and just need to know if your query has been resolved. If you could please post a quick reply to confirm I would be very grateful. Thank you