How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4188
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

I have separated from my partner and we have the house on

This answer was rated:

I have separated from my partner and we have the house on the market, I am living in the property and have been told that he has the right to a key. If this is the case and I move out as I wouldn't feel safe knowing he has access, can I get him to start paying half of the bills. He currently pays 50% of the mortgage and insurance?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No, it is his solicitor that is telling me I have to give him a key. I can't afford one.
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: Merseyside
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Wirral

Hi thank you for your enquiry and patience. If he is going to live in the property and you are moving you have to insist that he pays all the bills and not 50%. You would want to maintain your mortgage payments to ensure your interest is protected and he could pay rent for use of the property if you are having to look for elsewhere where you will be paying rent without his assistance. I hope this helps and I would be grateful for your rating at your earliest convenience. All the best

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He won't live in the property as he has a new girlfriend and she won't let him live there. In effect if I move out the house will be empty, I think we should both pay 50% of the costs and I want that in writing before I give him a key and move out

Hi, thank you for clarifying. What is the long term plan? Are you looking to sell or to rent it out?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
As per my initial question the house is on the market

You can therefore insist on paying 50/50 on everything should he insist on having a key and you move out. you are legally entitled to do so and since he is reprented his solicitor would advise him accordingly.

SolicitorRM and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you