Sagar Shah
Sagar Shah,
Experience:  IAAS Senior Caseworker at Duncan Lewis Solicitors
107664070

Under the freedom of information act am I allowed to request

Under the freedom of information act am I allowed to request to see all incidents reported by secondary school students (or just one year group) to their school where they were hurt or bullied or abused in some way or other during a specified period of time? I understand that names would be redacted, but is this something that is allowed under the FOI Act? Is it allowed if my son is attending this school? Can I also request to see how the school has dealt with each incident? Thankyou

I am an experienced legal advisor and I am happy to answer your question.

You are entitled to ask for anything you think the school will possess but if they do not have the information then they would not provide it to you. Based on what you say you want to request they are likely to hold that information.

Alternatively, if you wanted information about your child in particular you can submit a subject access request to the school which would give you all the information they hold on your child.

For your request to be dealt with according to the Freedom of Information Act, you must:

contact the relevant authority directly;
make the request in writing, for example in a letter or an email. You can make a verbal or written request for environmental information;
give your real name; and
give an address to which the authority can reply. This can be a postal or email address.

I hope that helps,

S
Sagar Shah,
Experience: IAAS Senior Caseworker at Duncan Lewis Solicitors