How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sagar Shah Your Own Question
Sagar Shah
Sagar Shah,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 74
Experience:  IAAS Senior Caseworker at Duncan Lewis Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
Sagar Shah is online now

Under the freedom of information act am I allowed to request

This answer was rated:

Under the freedom of information act am I allowed to request to see all incidents reported by secondary school students (or just one year group) to their school where they were hurt or bullied or abused in some way or other during a specified period of time? I understand that names would be redacted, but is this something that is allowed under the FOI Act? Is it allowed if my son is attending this school? Can I also request to see how the school has dealt with each incident? Thankyou

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
I am an experienced legal advisor and I am happy to answer your question.

You are entitled to ask for anything you think the school will possess but if they do not have the information then they would not provide it to you. Based on what you say you want to request they are likely to hold that information.

Alternatively, if you wanted information about your child in particular you can submit a subject access request to the school which would give you all the information they hold on your child.

For your request to be dealt with according to the Freedom of Information Act, you must:

contact the relevant authority directly;
make the request in writing, for example in a letter or an email. You can make a verbal or written request for environmental information;
give your real name; and
give an address to which the authority can reply. This can be a postal or email address.

I hope that helps,

Kind regards

Sagar Shah,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 74
Experience: IAAS Senior Caseworker at Duncan Lewis Solicitors
Sagar Shah and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you