Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

If my employer has given me a letter stating my bonus amount

Hi, if my employer has given me a letter stating my bonus amount that is to be paid in my February pay (25th) can they retract that if I hand my notice in now?
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No as I’m wary that they may retract it if they think I am leaving
JA: What is your employment status? Are you an employee, freelancer, consultant or contractor? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: i am employed in the financial industry with no union
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no just where I stand with this thank you

Hello, I’m Ben, a UK lawyer and will be dealing with your case today. I may also need to ask some questions to determine the legal position.

What is the bonus based on? and how long have you worked for this employer?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi the bonus is based upon performance last year and I’ve been here for 4.5 years
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I would just like to know online please, I am at work

No problem and thank you. I will get back to you with my answer as soon as I can, which will be at some point today. The system will notify you when this happens. Please do not reply in the meantime as this may unnecessarily delay my response. Many thanks.

Many thanks for your patience. Whether they can retract the promised bonus will depend on any conditions of the bonus eligibility, such as in your contract or a bonus policy. Some terms may state that you are not eligible to receive a bonus if you are working your notice period so in that case the employer could retract it, even after it has been confirmed. On the other hand, if there are no conditions stating that you are not due payment if you are leaving or working your notice, retracting it would be unfair, especially if you have met the eligibility criteria already.

Does this answer your query?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you yes it does

All the best