Lawyer21
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer
31642296

I would like to inquire if there are any cases similar to my

My name is ***** *****
And I would like to inquire if there are any cases similar to my situationCurrently I’m on a student visa studying Ma at a drama school in London however I have inquired with my school in the event of being signed by agencies
But my visa expires
What would happen ? Would signing to agencies be smilar to sponsorship ?
I have done some investigation and haven’t found any answers
My wish is to continue to live and work as an actor in the U.K after my postgraduate degree
Your advice and experties will be much appreciated
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I’m from South Korean btw
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the student visa?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi How can I help?

When does your visa expire?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It expires in March 2021

You are able to switch from Tier 4 to Tier 2 - this is a Work Permit visa, which requires for your proposed employer to have a Tier 2 Sponsorship Licence to employ overseas migrants.

Once they obtain this License from the Home Office - you can be offered a job with them. Your employment would be subject to Code of Practice and salary under Appendix J and K of the Immigration rules

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Since I’m working in entertainment industry, to be more specific in Acting, as far as I know , the criteria for getting visa is different?e.g they only have a short term visa that lasts only during the period of the show or filming. Can Tier 2 be attained with longer period not just short term ?Also, what license do you mean for the visa ? Is the same as sponsorship ? Cuz the show companies want me to have a visa first to start working with them

It would be the company that has the Tier 2 Licence and they would issue Certificate of Sponsorship. I will send you the requirements

The Tier 2 General visa category is for individuals who have an offer of a skilled job in the UK from a licensed Tier 2 Sponsor. This category includes applicants coming to the UK to fill shortage occupations. You will need to have an offer of employment before applying for a visa.

What are the main eligibility requirements for a Tier 2 General visa?

In order to qualify for a Tier 2 General visa, you will need to satisfy UK Visas and Immigration that:

• You have a job offer in the UK from an employer that holds a Tier 2 Sponsor License;
  • The job you are sponsored for is at least graduate level or a specified creative profession;
  • The job is on the Home Office’s list of skilled occupations;
  • You will be paid a minimum salary of £30,000 (£20,800 for some applicants) or the minimum for the exact job you are doing, whichever is higher;
  • The job offer is a genuine vacancy and you are appropriately qualified or registered to do the job.

Your Sponsor will need to show that there is no suitable settled worker to fill the role. In most cases, they will need to prove that they have undertaken a genuine ‘Resident Labour Market Test’. This normally means that they have advertised the role for at least 28 days in two places and no suitable settled worker has applied.

A Resident Labour Market Test is not required in cases where the job is on the Shortage Occupation List, or if you will be a high earner (annual salary of £159,600 or more). If you are switching from a Tier 4 General Student visa then your employer will usually be exempt from the Resident Labour Market Test.

You will need to be competent in the English language to at least CEFR Level B1 (equivalent to IELTS 4.0 in reading, writing, listening and speaking) and have enough additional money to support yourself without relying on public funds.

What else do I need to know about the Tier 2 General visa?

If your application for a Tier 2 General visa is approved then your first visa can be valid for a maximum period of 5 years and 14 days, or the time given on your Certificate of Sponsorship plus 1 month, whichever is shorter. Your stay must start no more than 14 days before the start date on your Certificate of Sponsorship.

Your partner and any children under the age of 18 may accompany you as your dependents.

You can apply to extend your stay for up to another 5 years, as long as your total stay is not more than 6 years.

You can settle permanently in the UK after being in the Tier 2 General category for five years, and if you have been in the UK in certain other immigration categories you may be able to combine the time spent to count towards settlement.

If you have held a Tier 2 visa in the last 12 months, you may be subject to a ‘cooling off period’. You will not normally be able to apply to re-enter the UK in this category from overseas during this period.

You can switch into the Tier 2 General immigration category if you are already in the UK under Tier 1, 2, or 4 of the point-based system.

The visa is granted for 2/3 years and up to 5 years - New entrant and Experienced worker

I hope this information has been helpful

Before you go I would be grateful if you would give me a positive rating by clicking on the above and press submit

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the reply. I have some questions. Does my sponsor have to pay for any some amount of money to the Immigration office to sponsor me ? (I heard before They do sometimes) and also in entertainment /acting industry , it’s very hard to prove that this person has a very special skill . Cuz it’s more like casting certain person cuz they like it from their Subjective point of view. How can I / the agent company legally formally prove that I’m the one they need? Can Acting be considered a rare skill set in UK ?

Please accept my previous answer and I can respond to your the new questions here-thanks

The Sponsorship Licence fee is £515 which the employer needs to pay and also needs to conduct a Labour Market search of the proposed job offer. In terms of if Artist is a skilled job not everyone can do certain acting skills. For example a Indian chef cannot be a Souf Chef - it will take years to master

Thank you - please do remember to provide a positive rating by clicking on the above and press submit

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Back to talking about the skill however , what if it’s just lack of Asian female actors with certain look and type they want to cast for their film or the show ? Not necessarily certain skill such as this actor being excellent at cooking or certain physical abilities.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also is it common that the company/employer actually willing to pay the money to hire the person they want for the visa? Even under normal job category not just acting/entertainment hire in general

It would be based on certain skills and the employer is required to pay the appropriate level required for salary purposes

Please do remember to provide a positive rating by clicking on the above and press submit

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** checking the visa and as a creative I can only apply for Tier 5 right ? I can’t get Tier 2( general) and what’s the minimum salary as set by Equity, PACT or BECTU for me to be eligible to apply for Tier 5?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Also, according to “ The Tier 5 Temporary Worker category does not lead to settlement in the UK, except where you were granted entry clearance under the Immigration Rules in place before 6 April 2012 ” does it mean even if I manage to continue to work here under tier 5 for 5 years , it won’t be considered to apply for settlement in UK ?

Yes the Tier 5 does not lead to settlement.

Thank you and all the best

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
One more last question can I apply for Tier 2 as an actor ?

Yes you can subject to the type of job - skilled dancer/artist role etc that is required by the employer!