How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 15307
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I need to take my previous energy supplier to court. To cut

This answer was rated:

I need to take my previous energy supplier to court. To cut the long story short, I originally made a complaint to my previous energy supplier for overcharging me for thousands of pounds for my electricity usag, in a normal family household. They investigated the complaint and claimed that I had used the electricity they claimed I was using and that my previous to previous energy supplier could have underestimated my electricity meter readings. I went to the Energy Ombudsman and they were on no help either. I made a complaint to my previous to previous energy supplier regarding underestimating my close electricity meter reading. The supplier investigated my complaint and provided a new close meter reading to provide to my previous energy supplier, which would have substantially decreased my final bill with my previous energy supplier. However, my previous supplier would not change the meter reading stating that they are not legally bound to do so as I had declined the Ombudsmans decision. I made a new complaint to the Energy Ombudsman with the new evidence, which is the new readings provided by my previous to previous supplier and they rejected my complaint as a duplicate complaint without even reviewing the new evidence and the fact that it has a material impact on my final bill with my previous energy supplier.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I haven't talked to any lawyer. I live in the UK.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Oh no, I'm talking to a bot!
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
My previous energy provider has issued a letter before action and has threatened to start court proceedings if I dont pay my final bill. My argument is I have provided a new close meter reading i received from my previous to previous supplier, my previous supplier is unwilling to change their open meter reading to the new reading. If my previous supplier updates the new reading, I would owe a substantially lower amount to my previous supplier. I have always maintained that I will clear the full outstanding balance provided they update their open meter reading, which they are unwilling to do. So, I want to start court proceedings against my previous energy supplier. However, I have heard stories of the substantial costs involved. I need advice on what i should do for them to accept the new open meter reading? I am not going to pay them a penny more than what I am supposed to pay. Kindly advice.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Btw, thank you for for reply Jamie

Ok - how much are you seeking to claim?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
A reasonable amount for all the distress and inconvenience they have caused. I have retained evidences of all my communications with them. I dont understand why they are reluctant to change the meter reading. If I need to put a figure I would say anything between £500.00 to £1,000.00 is a reasonable claim? What would you suggest? I'm not very much bothered about the claim amount to be honest. I just want to pay off what I rightfully owe them and get done with this nightmare.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I understand I can pay a fee and submit my case to a small claims court. But, whatever my chances against these big dogs?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
*but what are my chances
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Do you think I would need legal representation to fight my case?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sorry, I've never been through this process before, so you may find some of my questions to be unreasonable

It depends how much you want to claim

£10,000 or below is a small claim. So if you lose generally you dont pay the other side's costs.
I think you have a decent chance. You dont need legal representation as its a small claim and those costs can be recovered.

But you can get a public access Barrister to represent you at:

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Cheers, thank you so much for your time. I will put a claim through after preparing my case. Do I need to send them a letter before action? Is that a protocol or just submit a small court claim? I will rate your response, and will follow up with an questions I may come across when preparing my case file. Thank you for your help.

Yes, send an LBA, you should do that.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Yes, thank you.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
One more question. Regarding the contents for the LBA, how concise or brief should it be. What do I request them in the correspondence?