Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My son has been studying for 1 month at an independent

My son has been studying for 1 month at an independent school and has now been offered a place at a comprehensive school. We accepted the place but now the independent school is asking us to pay for the summer term which is still 2 months ahead since the parents contract we signed says you need to give the school a full term ahead notice for a student withdrawal.
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: We live in Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: the school belongs to Cognita Group. After speaking with the Financial Manager of the school, we decided to wtite a personal letter to the Cognita Group Manager. The letter should arrive tomorrow.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: My son joined the independent school because the Council offered a terrible secondary school and we decided to withdraw him immediately. We asked our parents for a loan in order to be able to pay the current term and in the meantime wait to be offered a place at the comorehensive school of our catchment area. If we reject the place, my son will lose every chance to be called again next year. That is the reason why he joined the school the first day after Xmas and has only been in the school for half of the term. They are not willing to refund the rest of the current term but they are demanding the payment of the summer term too because of the parent’s contract we signed

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Have you given a full terms notice?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No. My son joined the school on January 7th and we were offered a place at the comprehensive school last friday. We informed the independent school by writing on Monday morning

I am just on the train, will call shortly, will show as withheld.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK