Lawyer21
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer
31642296

I would like to know what options have a EEA single mother

Hi. I would like to know what options have a EEA single mother with 2 kids, both at school (11 and 13 years old) who's in UK from November 2018 and who shared the house rent with another adult until this month. She's employed full time. Now the house contract is over and the other person gave the landlord notice for evacuation on 8th of March next month. As they were both on the contract i suppose that the notice it's for both of them even if she didn't signed the notice. She can't afford to pay the rent, moreover the landlord told her that and he's already advertising the house. Now she's risking to be thrown on the street. Thank you very much
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Crawley uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: No steps They are still in the house until 8th of March
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think this is it

Hi How can I help?

I will read your question and respond

If the EEA single mother and 2 kids are facing homeless - they need to approach the Local Council and apply for Housing accommodation.

She may be able to rent a place whilst the Council gives her Housing Benefit - top up payment towards the rent to meet the monthly rent payments

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
She got the presettle status for her and the kids and she's got some money from Universal Credit but not housing benefits if it matters

Her circumstances would now be changed and the Housing Benefit element can be reassessed by the Council.

Pre settled status confirms since Nov 18 they are habitually resident and the Council will determine whether or not they are in priority need given that there are also two children under 18.

I hope this information has been helpful.

Before you go, I would be grateful if you could give me a positive rating by clicking on the above and press submit - I would appreciate it

Customer: replied 16 days ago.